Wednesday, 1 July 2009

Meeting the scary and the hairy...

No, not the staff, or even the children...today we had a workshop run by 'The Rainforest Man' and it was really interesting - there were loads of facts about the creatures that were brought in and I learnt that when this particular type of giant millepede is scared, they produce an acrid substance that is antiseptic which can be used to heal wounds.

I was brave enough to stroke a hissing cockroach (bumpy) , a giant millipede (tickly feet), a tarantula (hairy) and a corn snake (smooth). I also got to touch a tree frog (sticky) and see a baby leaf stick insect (cute!) I have to admit to being a bit apprehensive about some of the creatures we saw, but tried not to show it as it was important not to influence the reactions of children to the creatures.

It was a brilliant experience to get so close to some of God's amazing creatures and to marvel at how efficiently the eco-system functions!

No comments: