Tuesday, 30 November 2010

Graduand to Graduate!

Alison Joyce Taylor BA Hons

Yesterday Andy and I headed through the snow, though thankfully only a smattering, to Redcliffe to meet up with other gradutating students for coffee and cake. We then headed for Cheltenham racecourse where the University of Gloucester ceremony was being held. Although I graduated with my year at the end of the Redcliffe year, this was the official graduation ceremony! I got to wear the graduation outfit again (I could get used to it!!) including the hood - we're not allowed the hood at the Redcliffe celebration because we haven't officially been awarded our final marks. But today I passed from being a graduand to a graduate. I have my degree - and I have the photo to prove it!! Mind you, the 'certificate' is actually a piece of plastic pipe with a ribbon tied on it :)

The ceremony didn't take as long as I'd anticipated (they'd predicted 2 hours....yawn...but thankfully was only just over 1 hour) but the highlight, apart from walking up to shake the hand of the Bishop of Gloucester as a mark of me being granted my degree, was Reverend Canon Andrew White - the vicar of Baghdad. He was bestowed with an honoray doctorate - which he said was the best kind because he didn't have to do any work for it! He spoke for a few moments and he said that too many times people tell him to 'take care'. But he said 'don't take care' - 'TAKE RISKS' I was blown away by the simplicity, yet complexity of such a statement.

Surely all my life, lived for God should epitomise this statement. We live such 'safe' lives - rarely stepping outside of our comfort zones...rarely allowing ourselves to be pushed to our limits, at which point, when we think all is lost, God inevitably takes over and amazing things happen!! I want to live a life that doesn't take care - I want to take risks for Him, to live a life that walks on the edge - a life that challenges, a life that creates, a life that calls others to the one that gives me life. This is my call - this is what makes my heart beat faster...

So what is it that does the same for you? Are you stuck in a rut? Afraid to step out and live for Him - totally, completely, with absolute reckless abandon? Surely the One who gave His life with such grace deserves our all? Will you live a life that takes care - that stays safe? Or will you stop taking care and start taking risks?

Don't take care - take risks!!!

No comments: