Wednesday, 12 October 2011

A sermon, A carrot and Travels to Spain

Over the past week or so I've been looking at John 5:1-15 (the healing of the man beside the pool at Bethesda) as I'm preaching on it this coming Sunday (16th)  I've been asked to take this one as part of a sermon series entitled 'Encountering Jesus - extending His reach'  The basic premise of which is that people in various states encounter Jesus, who deals with each in a way that is appropriate to their situation.  And as we are called to extend Jesus' reach into our community - to 'be' Jesus to those around us - those we encounter - we are looking at these situations for guidance into how we should interact with people appropriately.


My sermon title is 'Jesus encounters the disaffected' which initially only brought to mind images of the riots that began in London and spread to other cities during the summer.   Not an easy title - but as I've looked over the text I've had some good thoughts about how to approach it all.  I'm not completely finished yet - it's only Wednesday!  But it should all come together by Sunday...I hope :)


I didn't get much sermon written over last weekend as it was Abi's 15th birthday - she requested a 'carrot' cake and here is the picture of my efforts...

'Carrot' cake!
Abi really liked it, especially as I brought out an old toy of hers...but just for a laugh...!


Giant carrots attract bunnies...!!!

The only problem is that Abi has headed off to Spain today for a Spanish exchange with her school and has left half of it uneaten...well, ok - it's not a problem as such - it's very nice cake and very easy to eat...!!!  And there won't be much left for very long - and we won't be able to blame the bunny :)

No comments: